View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delb0y View Post
Having played (and still play) in rock'n'roll bands for 35+ years I've started a 10 year plan to get my acoustic gigging chops up to speed, in order that when I'm old and grey and I can still gig but without all that gear and noise...
Derek, you've gotten lots of helpful advice and congrats on you 3rd solo gig.

Your last phrase is the important one in my mind - without all that gear and noise. For me, that would rule out putting together a full PA. I've been doing solos and duos for the last 20 years and started out with a full PA. Yeah, I could cover just about any setting and it sounded quite good, but schleping it all and setting it all up by myself was more than I wanted to be doing. Shortly after they came out, I bought a Fishman Soloamp (about 8 years ago?). I love it for what I do. It takes me about 3 minutes to get set up, I make one trip, and it sounds good. I have even used it with a trio by adding a small mixer. Wineries, tasting rooms, coffeehouses, even a few outdoor gigs... it has worked great. Yes, I have had a few gigs where it wouldn't be enough but most larger gigs have their own systems so I don't need to bring anything anyway. I sold my PA. The only thing I have lost out on was being able to loan the PA to my church for summer outdoor worship. Literally that has been the only thing in all those years.
that's me on guitar