View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
In the world of guitar sellings, some sales associates have been known to direct buyers towards guitars that would most benefit themselves, rather than the customer. I don't know if that has happened with you, of course, but it might be something to consider.
Exactly right (on both counts -- this is something to consider, and we shouldn't assume that's what happened). That was my first thought.

Are Taylors overpriced? I don't think so. Someone who REALLY loves a Martin HD-28V might think that I overpaid for my Taylor, since I could have gotten the Martin instead, and for the same money. Someone who thinks their Breedlove or Crafter is "as good as a Taylor" for less money might think so. But -- here's the issue -- *I* don't think so. I tried a ton of guitars, and I bought a Taylor, considering the tone, playability, looks, feel, and yes, price.

"Overpriced" is really something only the buyer can decide. If you have a guitar that costs $1000 less than a comparable Taylor and you prefer that guitar, then for you, the Taylor is OBVIOUSLY overpriced. The problem is when SOMEONE ELSE (ex: a guitar seller) tries to pawn their OPINION about the relative value of a given guitar off onto YOU.

The seller may think they are overpriced. But in the end, it's your money and it will be your guitar. Only you can decide that. And I wouldn't let the opinion of someone who probably has a financial interest in the transaction affect my decision, even if that person may have the best of intentions. In the end, their opinion is subjective. It's not their money.