View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 11:52 PM

Yep! Berklee grad here, class of 2004. Dual major - guitar performance and music business. Over the years I've pivoted a few times, career wise. The record industry tanked right when I was diving into a career there. Software engineering pays the bills now. Music/guitar still feeds the soul, but I found no money to be made there, so over time I taught myself to write code and build distributed systems. Happy on all fronts. Never been in a better place in life.

Go learn all the Jazz and classical stuff, even if you don't intend on playing in those styles. You'll learn so so much. I did. Keep an open mind. Your mind and ears will take from those things what it wants. Learn as much as you can. Explore styles and concepts you don't feel comfortable with. That's where you really experience enlightenment, as far as music goes.

Best of luck out there!

Sorry, I see that my comments don't really address you question, but I"m going to leave this right here regardless.

Whatever you play in your audition, play it for you, not them. Play what you do well. Don't try and appease the panel. Do you. Seriously. Play with some passion and soul. That's what really matters.

Last edited by Scallywag; 03-26-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity, adjusted accordingly