View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM

While I agree that stereo speakers aren't appropriate, a good, full range set of speakers can work in a pinch. "Bookshelf" speakers should be avoided for mixing, because they are missing much of the low frequency information that is critical to the mixing process.

So in lieu of proper monitors, a good set of headphones are useful, and while a decent, full range stereo system is still not ideal, I've done several successful mixes with my stereo speakers in my untreated living room. My intention was originally to "rough in" the mixes at home, and correct them in a professional studio. But more than once I have gone into the studio fully expecting to need to make changes to my mixes, but no changes were necessary. From that, I've learned that if it sounds good on my home stereo and on my car stereo, then the mix will sound nicely balanced through proper monitors in a treated room. FWIW The honkytonk recordings in my signature were tracked and mixed in my living room.

That said, I would love to have a great set of monitors in a properly treated space. At the moment, there just isn't a place in my home for a setup like that, so for now I'll have to continue to get by with my sub-standard setup. But that ain't gonna keep me from making music...

Last edited by Hot Vibrato; 01-09-2017 at 08:12 AM.