View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetglide06 View Post
All,
My first post but have been reading the forum for some time now. A couple of days ago I picked up a 1950s era Regal archtop and am trying to find some information about it. Seems to be in very good shape. Looking inside I can see "449" (model number I assume) printed where the neck joins the body. I can't find any reference to this number linked to Regal. Online I found a 1940s one that looks exactly like mine except it has a green Regal label on the headstock and mine is blue:

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-...stic-Guitar-EX

Once I figure out how to post photos I will show mine. I appreciate any assistance!

As long as you didn't pay a lot for the Regal (the $277 for the one in the link that you sent is reasonable enough), then you've gotten a fair enough value for something that has the intrinsic capabilities of being made into a good guitar.

Several luthiers in the country (perhaps most notably, Scott Baxendale, in Athens, GA) specialize in converting these old cheapo Harmony/Kay/Silvertone/Regal archtops (and flattops, too) into fine sounding instruments.