View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Default For fingerstyle: 12 fret sitka or 14 fret Adirondack

I'm trying to decide how to go with a new (primarily) fingerstyle guitar. I'm set on Blueridge. The questions are- mahogany or rosewood back/sides, and 14-fret with Adirondack or 12-fret Sitka. (The 12-fretters don't come with Adi). I'm not really much of a heavy strummer, but I do occasionally pick fairly heavily. I don't already have an Adi guitar, so there's a part of me that thinks I should add one to the stable, but I'm not sure whether the advantages of Adi outweigh the advantages of a 12-fretter, especially for these purposes. I DO already have a rosewood guitar and a mahogany guitar, so the back/sides isn't necessarily as important a decision as the top and number of frets.

Basically what I'm looking for is advice on 12 fret sitka versus 14 fret Adirondack on a fingerstyle guitar.

If I'm going to go with Sitka on a 12-fretter, my choices are:
Blueridge BR-142 and BR-162. (142 is mahogany. 162 is rosewood).

If I'm going to go with Adi, I could get a BR-143A or BR-163A (again, hog versus rosewood). Of course, there's the 243A and 263A, but as far as I can tell, the difference between the 1s and the 2s doesn't necessarily justify the difference in price.

Of course, there's also the laminates- Blueridge's BR-43/63/73AS seem mighty fine and well priced. I've never owned a laminated guitar before, but if someone can convince me that I won't be able to tell the difference between laminate and solid on these models, one of those may be perfect.

Thanks for your feedback.
A few Telecasters