Thread: Playing piano
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 PM

After seven years of intense guitar study, initially flat picking, blues, bluegrass, rock, country, etc.. then focused on finger style, I realized I'd learned everything I wanted on the guitar. It was either play in a band, (I do that already on mandolin) or move to jazz or classical.
With no interest there, i decided to start on piano. I did have one semester in college, some 40 years ago, but only remembered basic scales.

I primarily used www.piano-play-it.com

It is geared, to learning much like the guitar; start with chords, learn some songs, add some simple leads, etc...

I quickly moved on to popular songs in a piano solo style, similar to finger-style, where you play bass and melody. Top 50 song books are a great resource.

Assuming you some music basics and can read music, even if very slow, you can learn, if you devote consistent effort over time.

After one year, this past December, I did a cd with 14 solo songs and gave to family and friends.

I'm really having fun and having a drummer background, playing the piano lets me bang, on boogie, R&R, as well as play pretty and soft.

I believe my guitars are mad at me as I haven't hardly touched them in over a year. Still picking mandolin in the band though!
www.Grassandeclectic.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCibq...view_as=public