View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
Yes, picking up the guitar and just playing is good and always encouraged, but you can't just turn on a computer, hit some buttons and expect a good recording. Just as guitar playing is an art form, so is recording, done right. Both take time, patience and practice.
I doubt we disagree. My point applied to your example is that if I hand a new person a guitar, they can no more make any music on it than they can record on a computer. If I tell them they can make music, but it'll take a lot of practice and a world of knowledge to do it, many/most will be discouraged. Learning the basics of how to record and do basic editing with software, the DAW equivalent of playing "Home on the Range" or "500 Miles", doesn't take forever, and can be rewarding. You don't even need to develop calluses. Some people will then progress from there to various levels of proficiency.

Most of us here aren't new to the guitar. If a true newby who just got a guitar at Target or Wallmart wondered in here we might scare them off from guitar with our sometimes esoteric focus. But some/many here are new to computer recording/editing.

I remember what it was like. I spent a few years with a Portastudio telling myself that using the computer was just going to get in my way of making music and recordings. I felt just like some of the folks in this thread then. I tell myself computer recording was tougher back then. It sure was more expensive!

Nothing wrong with handhelds or even the current decedents of the Portastudio. They're useful tools for many folks. The OP may well be best served with a modern simple hand-held digital recorder.

Folks with abacuses, calculators, and adding machines did and can still do lots of things I do in Excel, and a word processor won't guarantee my novel is better than multitudes that were typed on a typewriter. But If I know how to use some of the features of a spreadsheet or a word processor, those features that solve problems for me, I find it easier to do that work with a computer.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....