Thread: Acoustic Bass
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
I have a recent Gold Tone resonator bass:

http://www.goldtone.com/products/det...Beard-Bass-PBB

The stock strings were pretty bad so I immediately restrung it with my usual D'Addario Chromes flatwounds. I got the optional screw in stand so that it can be held like an upright too. Surprisingly loud unplugged and bright even with the flatwounds, but it has mellowed a bit with the age of the strings and when played closer to the bridge...quite controllable when plugged in.

It's a bit of a departure for me as I generally use a Godin fretless five string, but it sure is nice not to have to plug in all the time.

Other acoustic options out there are, 1) used Washburn AB models, not much acoustic volume, but nice plugged in, 2) used Godin Acoustibass, I had a very nice fretless one, 3) Ibanez, new or used.
How much bass does the GoldTone put out acoustically with flatwounds? The only recordings I've found online were with roundwounds and it sounds very "guitar-like" in its frequency response. If it actually has some low end to the tone, it might be my next instrument purchase (I can't find a single one to try out in Canada).