View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM

A lot of people like the M80 but I kinda prefer the M1, which is kinda like a miniaturized Sunrise. The M80's "body sensing" is kinda like a half-baked body mic and doesn't add anything terribly positive to the tone, in my opinion. The M1 sparkles a little more and is clearer. Again, just my two cents.

I've heard great things about the Black Angel and it seems solid. The best sounding mag I've heard is the Sunrise with the right preamp. I never thought much of the Sunrise until I heard it run through the appropriate preamp and then I finally understood what the fuss was all about. However, the Black Angel is smaller, has a phase switch, can be temporarily installed, and is far easier to acquire than the Sunrise.

In essence, just like with a UST, you want a clean sounding pickup that does a good job detecting the string vibration and doesn't produce any distortion. If it doesn't produce any fuzz, it'll sound pretty "natural" to the audience and doesn't have to do any fancy "body sensing" to sound like a guitar. If you want more body, mags (especially the Black Angel & Sunrise) have long been augmented with SBTs like the K&K.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic