View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 PM

They make wood blues guitars?

I keed! I keed! Here's part of my stable.

Blues guitars were, in the formative days, whatever the musician could get his hands on. Dreads, smaller bodies, yes nationals...

One of the most underated style of blues guitar is the archtop. Roundhole if you want to be authentic... One of the few real bargains in the vintage world are the lesser brand archtops. Prices in the hundreds, not the thousands.

So it's really whatever you plays blues on. I'd stack up my Larrivee SD-50 12 fret slope dread against any and all comers. Even my Nationals. It'll lose on volume, but it sounds fantastic.

To me the biggest question is 25.5 vs. shorter scale much more than 12 vs. 14 fret. A good J-45 style guitar is a great choice, and as much as I love O and OO, if you've got the bucks for an SCGC I'd go with one of their J-45-a-likes before an H. I love the H, but a J-45 with quality build, fit, and finish you can trust? Priceless.

But for slide I prefer 25.5 or longer. My own little theory is that all the open E and A tuned songs came from guys with shortscale guitars who didn't like the feel and sound of D and G. My theory does not apply to Robert Johnson. He tuned to E and A and capoed up cuz his voice is higher than a white woman's singin' in Church... Apologies for stealing that line from Little Richard in describing his own Woooooooooooooo!!!