View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I gotta call B.S. The OP asked about mandocello or octave mando conversions. I have a custom built 26" scale 10 string mandocello (C-G-D-A-E; covers the range of both octave mandolin and mandocello). It sounds and plays awesome. The Eastman MD 805C is a great playing and sounding mandocello - I've had mine since 2009. It has a 25" scale. I've strung it up both as an OM and 'cello. The new Epi's are 25.5". Perfect for mandocello conversion.
You're entitled to call B.S. all day long if you want. I'm going to have to add "IMHO" because I've been a mando family player for a long time and my personal opinion is the scale length is too long. Not because it's not possible to tune a 25-1/2" as octave (or otherwise), but because it's plain uncomfortable to play.

There's a very good reason why some of the top makers (and players) use much shorter scales than 25-1/2" for octaves. Gee, I wonder why they do that?

The OP specifically cited Sarah Jarosz and the Brock she's most often associated with is sub-22".