Thread: 3 string capos
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsht View Post
...It will be nice to use a capo to make fake DADGAD. Retuning classical is somewhat annoying because the strings need to settle, so retuning never ends.
Hi nwsht...

It's simulation the open strings of DADGAD but you really have not retuned any strings. I have ported some DADGAD and CGCGCD songs to Esus positioned cut capo and it can be done, but it requires modifications, and some thinking. Since you have not actually retuned anything, a lot of chords and inversions are in the same place they were in standard.

A suggestion - to become familiar with what it can do, play in keys of D or G relative to the Esus positioned cut capo to get some idea of what can be done. And then learn the one finger chords you can play…

Here's a video I did for beginners to get off the ground with an Esus positioned capo...all in key of D relative to it. I also play in key of G relative to the capo. It's just to get you started with noodling with the capo in place.

Getting started with Esus - ClicK

I sometimes call it "EGAD" tuning. If you are playing in key of D relative to the capo, you are sounding in key of E and some of the fingerings are still standard tuning. That's why I say it makes one 'think' to harness it. I love it though and ordinarily do a couple songs during a set when I'm gigging with the Esus capo.

Your are correct, it saves retuning and waiting for strings to settle.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…