View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Wow! I never thought I'd get so much drummer feedback on this forum!

Yes, all drummers will prefer the acoustic kit -- no different from me preferring the natural acoustic sound of my guitars! When we first started discussing this, I completely turned my nose up to the idea of electric drums. However, as we were digging into the best way to address our volume and "noise" issues (noise = confusing sound that the brain has to work hard to sort out), we started looking at this more seriously.

My opinion was partly swayed by the progress that has been made with modeling technologies in pre-amps like the Aura and Mama Bear as I was most concerned with the quality of the sound produced. Yamaha in particular, directly models all their high-end kits,

None of our drummers have tried out the current iterations of these sets, so many opinions seem to be formed on older technology and maybe lower end gear. That said, I have been told and have read that there is a different feel to the Roland mesh heads and the silicone heads on the Yamaha kits. The specialty drum store guys I've been talking to actually have a preference for the Yamaha -- they say it feels more like an acoustic head.

In the end, we have all come around to the understanding that, in this context (worship), it is not about us (the musicians) as much as it is about those in the seats and their worship experience. Our job is to serve and do our best to lead a service that helps them connect to God and each other!

We are embarking on the whole project next week and hope to have everything upgraded and installed by Thanksgiving! It's an exciting project!

Charis GC (#22, 2001) -- Cedar/EIR
Charis SJ (#66, 2004) -- Adi/Braz
Langejans R6 (#1412, 2012, the last one!)-- Adi/EIR
Lowden F12 -- Spruce/Mahog
Lowden S25J -- EIR/Cedar -- Sold
Lowden F35x -- Walnut/Redwood -- Sold