View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher10 View Post
Im new to this board and wanted to ask you guys about the Epiphone Masterbilt line of guitars. Ive read alot about the lacking quality of the series lately. So I have two questions. Have anyone of you had issues with a DR500M, or any of the guitars really? Also, would it be wise to get one of these guitars made in the past few years (eBay has some very good prices), or should I shoot for the earlier ones? Thanks!!
I have an AJ 500M and have not had any problems with it. It is an excellent guitar and compares to guitars costing twice, if not three times as much. I am a luthier that repairs and builds guitars and haven't heard anything about the lacking in quality. In fact the few that I have seen are superior in quality. It is a light braced solid wood guitar with scalloped braces and a forward X-brace design, similar to pre-WWII war Gibsons and Martins. For this reason I would stay away from heavy gauge strings. Heavy gauge strings proved to be detrimental to some of the early guitars as well. If you buy one you will need to take care of it as you would a high dollar guitar. In that it is not built like a tank as some economy Epiphones, Ibenez and Fenders are it will be more susceptible to humidity and temperature changes.

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 01-24-2010 at 09:47 AM.