Thread: String Spacing
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Hmmm.

My *opinion* (ahem) is that one can indeed take this a bit further, because there can be meaningful relationships beyond this approach.
As I stated earlier in this thread, there are six (6) dimensions (plus scale length) necessary to fully define the fingerboard size.

I was then asked, at what fret the string spacing at the bridge is the same as the fret width. To which I replied, there isn't one, that I don't lay it out that way or conceive of it that way. I was told that, "if you know the string spacing at the nut ( including the offsets) , and the string spacing at the saddle, then, the information as to which fret width matches the string spacing at the saddle gives an instant indication to the experienced guitarist regarding how much real estate he has to play with."

I responded by saying, more or less, "not so much", but if one wants a quick number to relate to the fingerboard real estate, string spacing at nut and saddle is sufficient for a general idea. To know exactly how much real estate a particular guitar has, you need the 6 dimensions (7 with scale length), or play the thing. And, you have to know how the fret ends are finished, if you want to get into the "fine print".

In short, I think we are on the same page, saying the same thing.