View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I don't know where you gleaned this information. The Blackstar uses a ECC83 preamp tube. Both preamp and power sections are tube driven

I understand if you want to totally get away from modeling. Your choice, of course.

I can tell you from personal experience that the tonal palette of the Blackstar can provide the cleans you want. My best friend and jamming buddy play one and I have plugged in several time. Exceptional sounding amp, IMO.

Lot's of other amps can give you that sparkling clean with plenty of headroom too. You can get those kind of tones from a Silvertone 1482 and old Alamos too. I have had several Alamo and Silvertone amps through the years. You will NOT find YOUR tone by surfing youtube. Every amp interacts differently with different guitars and pickups.
Re: Tube-Driven - I can't find the exact comment I was thinking of, but here's another that's similar:
"The drive on all HT "venue" series amps is clipping diode not true tube overdrive. Think of it as a drive pedal built between the pre amp and power section. Not a bad thing by any means. For real tube saturation you have to crank the clean channel on the amp." Found in Comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK6zz_gmuZ0 No idea what it means - it was the other comment I can't find that used the terms "hybrid" and "into transistors" to suggest the same thing. I very much liked the Blackstar's sound. I've got a couple Blackstar Flys, too, so I've nothing against Blackstar!

Re: Modeling - Not against it, just against the Mustang I've got - it's complicated and limited, at the same time. Without a computer, you have start with one of their models that's closest to what you think you want to hear, and carve away effects, etc. you don't want, add others you do, then save it as an unmarked lighted post. If you don't leave breadcrumbs, you can't find it again. I understand the Mustang's best used in conjunction with FUSE software, the FUSE clip forum, and a computer, to build the tone(s) you want, and I just want to spend my time otherwise, so I need a less technical amp. I spend too much time on computers as it is - I like guitars/amps to get me away from computers.

I'll check out Silvertone and Alamo - I've not heard of those. As a practical matter, I'm limited to youtube sounds, and I try to hear amps I'm interested in through different guitars/pickups. I'm in no hurry and am enjoying the ride.