View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker36 View Post
???? Totally irrelevant and off subject. What does that have to do with banning bake sales?!?
I would think that the point is obvious. If there is a need to ban bake sales and Girl Scout cookies to fight childhood obesity. The obvious implication is that childhood obesity is rampant enough to warrant such extreme measures. While at the same time we are told that 1/4 of children don't get enough to eat. Out the remaining 3/4, one would have to factor that a sizable portion are properly nourished and of proper weight. Therefore diminishing the truth in claims of rampant obesity. And the need for such extreme measures.
There have always been fat, skinny and "normal" weight kids. I would agree that there are likely more fat kids these days. But would also attribute that to lack of exercise. In decades past, kids were much more likely to go outside and play. Thus gaining exercise and burning fat. Now days they play video games, internet and have 24 hr. TV channels with programing especially formatted for them. IMO if one really wanted to fight childhood obesity, restricting these would be a much more effective option.
But my main point is that while there may be an element of truth, such causes often go to extremes. Both in the statistics they report, and the solutions they devise.