View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Default "Best" small 1/2 size or 3/4 size guitar; need advice please.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and boy, could I use your advice!

I'm dealing with recurring injuries, both to my upper back as well as my thumb joints (overuse injuries from cello playing). I'd really like to pursue studies with a nylon-string guitar and I'm certain I'll need to begin with a smaller guitar.
Does anyone have a comment on some of the smaller guitars? I have a Cordoba Cadete (the 3/4 size) which I just purchased, but it may be too big (for the near future). My physical therapist has approved my playing (a little) but only if I feel no pain. The full size (and possibly even the Cadete) causes strain on my upper back (due to my right arm across the ribs and around the 'larger' instrument), and the scale length causes stress to my left hand.
Are there any 1/2-size guitars which are very good quality? I believe the Cordoba Requinto won "best in show" at NAMM in 2010. How is the sound in the 1/2 size guitars? Are they tuned E - E, or A - A, or??? Are good strings even available?
I've also been reading about the 1/2 sized Kremona (see link): http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/33645/33645.php

One note: a "wider" guitar (like with a deep rib) is also a problem for my back. I need to stay within the 3 1/2" rib depth, or even less I'd say.

Thank you in advance. This is very frustrating. But I really don't mind playing a small guitar. It's better than not at all!

Jill
San Diego