View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
You guys' comments are being most helpful, and I sincerely appreciate it! I have a lot to learn about playing guitar, but everything to learn about the art and science of recording! I don't think I misunderstood your post, Kev. It made perfect sense to me, IF I had already made the commitment to get into recording in the best ways I can. I should probably do that, but for now my focus is going to remain on performing, with recording in a distant second place. Still, your comments and those of others here have addressed exactly the kind of things I was wondering about. Your taking time to share your wisdom, opinions, and experience is most appreciated!

There's a local pawn shop with a pair of JBL LSR305s with an asking price of $160. Don't know if they'll let me try then out at home, or even in the store, but if so, those might be sufficient, at least as an introduction to get my feet wet. Won't consider them if I can't try them first, of course, but just maybe they'll work as "training wheels" to get me started. If so, perhaps my next step will be to consider a good general purpose, starter microphone. That will lead to room treatment, and perhaps something other than my BR-1600 (I also have an H4N that I've used for portable recording, and a 5-yr. old laptop...) So things could get expensive in a hurry if I'm not carefully frugal.

Just trying to take one thing at a time, and monitors seemed like a good place to start. Appreciate the help!

cotten
As to the JBL LSR305, a couple of points.

First, JBL says the monitor handles down to 43Hz, which is a lie/fib, if you consider the low frequency published spec should be set at where the bass has fallen off by -3dB, which is industry standard. Monitors with 5" drivers just don't perform at -3dB at 43Hz. It's just physics. That 43Hz spec is likely a -10 or worse falloff at that frequency. Since you use bass guitar in your recordings, that monitor will not give you a correct playback below about 75Hz or so in terms of amplitude.

Second, it has a rear port. If you place your monitors anywhere near a wall (towards the back) you are going to get another bass frequencies anomaly - an inaccurate and mushy exaggerated bass response.

The two will tend to cancel each other out at least in terms of amplitude, but the lack of accuracy will be magnified.

Of course, this is not the end of the world or anything. But it is quite possible that you will end up replacing the LSR305s with something else down the road. Better to buy once, not twice.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 12-20-2016 at 05:21 PM.