View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 12:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
Interesting experiment! Any chance you could record some simple and slow arpeggios with the different backs? That could help reduce variations in playing/performance and might make comparisons a bit easier (at least for my ears). Also, is there any way to do the fft on the finished guitar and still have the jig attached? I've been building with heavy sides in recent years and the additional weight seems to have quite an impact on various resonant frequencies. Cool work though and that's great that it's something you can study in an official setting!

Mike
Hey Mike, thank you. I am sorry but unfortunately it is not possible to make more records.
It is not possible to make the fft on the finished guitar with the jig because the jig is the whole rim and the neck, so it is not just the plywood piece around the sides. My rims are also pretty heavy so I thought that even more weight can't be that big of a difference but I was wrong.
I will make some fft's of the different backs too. I will post them here as soon as I can make them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Just whining about getting to the end and not even knowing what the prize is. It is ok, I understood why. Thanks for the info on the test setup. I have the Gore a d Gilet books and they predict a change with the different mass but it is good to know how others have found the change.

I want to do something similar, I am thinking of using plastic bolts and nuts to reduce the weight. I have built guitars with spruce back and sides so spruce or poplar sides might be an option. Depending on how work goes I might have some extra time this winter and this is something I have wanted to do for a while.
Hey Fred, I will give you the final result as soon as I finished it
The weight of the sides makes a huge difference. If your sides are pretty weak but heavy they can start to resonate a lot!
Try it! I am interested if it works. There are a few people that have already tried something similar. Look in the latest Orfeo magazine, there you can find Greg Byers version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
J Condino does something similar with the mandolins he builds, but only the back is removable. That allows him to fine tune the bracing. He essentially puts a lining on the outside of the sides, and uses small screws to attach the back. When he's satisfied with the tone, he routes off the exterior lining and attaches the back normally.
Hey Rodger, thanks for letting me know. That is a really good idea. I assume that he is building archtop mandolins with removable bridges? Because it is a pain to make a clean finish when the bridge is already on.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-30-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity