View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the advice so far!

I've started with strumming 8th-note patterns and will progress to more complex country style note-and-strum combinations and chord changes. Once I feel comfortable with this maybe I'll up the tempo and try and get familiar with some 16th note playing, but I'd rather take it slow.

In parallel with that I'm looking at picking and especially the string skipping exercises. For example a chromatic left-hand four-finger up down sequence repeated on strings 1,6 then 2,5 then 3,4.

This is proving to be a great exercise and I've made a lot of progress in just a few hours. It made me realise that in my electric guitar days when I was younger, my blues soloing with a pick was predominantly playing two-notes per string noodling from one adjacent string to another (because I didnt have the accuracy to skip to other strings).

As I'm pretty familiar with scale shapes _across_ the neck, this was quite an eyeopener for me as such string-skipping exercises allow me to break free from the cliches. I'm really excited about this.

tbzbbt