View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 01:20 PM

Default Need Gibson guitar education....

I've always loved the Gibson Les Paul, likely from seeing so many great guitarist using them when growing up. However when I bought my first electric guitar several decades ago they were out of reach for my budget. I ended up with a new Charvel that pretty well fit some of the 80's hard rock I was into at the time. Well time has passed and I'm into playing again, just not all that into the Charvel anymore. So a couple years ago I picked up a used DeArmond for short money to try and fill the role, nice guitar but just not bonding with it. Lately the urge has hit and thinking about the Les Paul's again. Which leads to my question, why are Gibsons sooooo much more than the Epiphone version?

It's my understanding that they're made to the same specifications using for the most part the same woods? I understand paying a bit more for the "name" on the headstock, but why so much more? The models for lefties are somewhat limited, but comparing two I found that are very similar models, color, etc the Gibson is 3x as much!

So for the experts out there.... what don't I know? What would the Gibson offer that the Epiphone won't? What makes it worth several times more? I'll also add FWIW, I own an Epiphone Joe Pass hollow body that is IMHO a fantastic guitar. So I have no concerns on Epiphones quality.

Thanks for any light you can shed!
Jeff