Thread: Action Height
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 PM

I see both confusion between 64ths and 32nds (etc.) on the one hand and people who have a very loose conception of "low action" on the other hand.

As for the latter, I recall asking an eBay seller about the action on an acoustic and referencing the 2/32" first string and 3/32" sixth string action that is often used as a standard for low action (on acoustic guitars) and is the Taylor action spec. This guy was astounded at the idea and reacted the way I would if someone told me that normal low action was 1/64" on the low E.

Some people (including very intelligent and educated people who have played guitar as a hobby for years) have no idea you can change the action in the first place and thus may get used to the high factory-set action on some guitars as being normal.

And what seems like annoyingly high action to someone who spends a lot of time in the upper regions of the neck may not be perceptible to someone who stays in the first position (especially if the nut action is set correctly).