View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
Just swallow the "i hate everything Apple" pride and go for an iPad. The Android market right now is so fractured with each manufacturer doing something different with the "open" source of Android and layering on all this BS. Like Blur on Motorola devices or Sense UI on HTC. Then you don't have everyone agreeing with how to do a tablet. Then you have some things written for one OS version and not another or hacked to make it work on a bigger form factor though Android 3.0 is suppose to address larger tablets...then have to wait wait wait wait for your manufacturer to upgrade the OS on their device. Froyo has been out for months and there are still Android phones that only run 2.1. Sure, you can go and find pirated ROMS to load into your machine if you're that savvy, but come on...

And besides, they STILL don't have a good tablet. Everything is "coming soon" or "any day now".

I just swallowed my pride and bought an iPad. I dont' worry about it being what it is and just use it for what I want.

BTW, MG Siegler had a great article on this:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/09/android-open/
I work with two developers who program for all the popular platforms and they echo Tweetdeck's rebuttal to Steve Jobs' rather obnoxious (defensive) behavior earlier in the week.

Yeah, there's nothing you can do about several Android tablets and Android 3 being almost here but it's pretty obvious that you will have hardware and software choices Apple will not give you.

I work with the different phone platforms and have to think of SwiftKey being superior to Apple and how Google bought the blind type company.

My developer associates and my work in security noted how quickly the Android Market changed to blatantly disclosing privacy issues - the whole screen in your face before you install anything. Even a stock Android devices lets you turn services on and off that pertain to privacy.

One of my developer friends who works for the leader in health care software pointed out how they have to give source code to Apple, not to Google, just disclose privacy issues.

The person I know who has made a specific career change to work in this area points out that market share will make for a certain level of Apple development and that choice plus programming will make for Adroid solutions you will not see on the Apple side. I tend to agree because one of my customers is already looking at hand held data entry and process control and the terminal apps and virtual keyboard apps plus hardware choices have them waiting for Android development.

If RIM security and stability port to their tablet we'll have good reasons to consider it.