View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Default Update

Had a chance to go back again today and play the acoustics again. I would have asked to see a handful of 414s, but it looked like the one on the wall today had new strings on it, so I took it down and played on it for a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same one I played before, but either way, it sounded significantly better. I heard a rich and full tone coming out of it, bright but not excessively bright. After I fiddled around with it, I picked up a 416. Aside from the fact that it was tuned down a half step, I found it lacking on the treble side of things. The lower strings sounded nice but it didn't do anything for me. The 314 I picked up next definitely looked as thought it hadn't been set up in some time; the strings were worn and overall, it didn't really have a low end as some have mentioned before. It was rather dull sounding. Not sure how it could have gotten so much worse over the course of a week but it seemed that way.

I also picked up a Martin OMCPA3 for comparison's sake. It was too grimy from use to play comfortably, but it projected well. I thought it might be naturally louder than the 414, but after swapping between them, I realized my ears were deceiving me. ^_^;; The Taylor definitely had a sparkle in it, so I'm really leaning towards buying one. I'll let y'all know how it goes, thanks for all of the input so far.