View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Can the mixer receive a USB protocol signal? Does the mixer have DA converters in it to convert that digital signal being sent to it to an analog signal? What about latency?
yes, the mixer as ADA converter for USB in both directions. Latency is a factor dependent on the drivers - does A+H even have dedicated drivers for their equipment? I know some mixer manufacturers tell you to use 'standard' ASIO driers or ASIO4ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
I was just going back over things here. There are multiple ways to get the recording to work off the mixer to listen to a track/set of tracks while recording a fresh one independent of the playback. A couple are below:

Set the source for the headphone jack to "playback". Then use either the record buss or main mix to send back to USB

Set the record buss to send to USB and have the return to stereo channel 2. Take stereo channel 2 off the record loop and play back over any output - mains, aux, headphones.
Ok, so the mixer does have the monitoring option, but if you want to use speakers to monitor, you'll have to be careful of how you set it up to avoid a feedback chain.

FlyFishn, you really seem insistent on going the mixer route, so its probably useless for everyone to keep advising you here.
I bought a Behringer USB mixer and it was noisy - not only were the mic preamps inadequate (had to turn the gain way up) - but the USB output had a high pitched whine that would only go away if the overall volume was reduced. There was no separate USB volume control on this mixer, the main volume sliders also controlled the USB output.
I returned the Behr mixer and bought a Mackie. My real reason for the mixer was so that I could have everything plugged in all the time to record to my Boss recorder, the USB was just extra. The Mackie has a separate volume control for the USB output, and if you turn it up too high, there is that whine again.
I later learned that this is common on the cheap 16 bit ADA converters found in USB mixers. I understand A+H have better components, but have not read of anyone really using one of these as their primary recording input device.
USB mixers are really made for sending the "live mix" from a performance to a computer, not for multitrack recording.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele