View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Well, my new home is almost done, so I am down to a few (almost) final decisions, one of which is whether to do really nice laminate flooring in my music room, or boring old carpet. It is a 10 x 13 room with an 8' ceiling. It will house my acoustic and electric guitars and our piano, and I don't currently record, so I'm primarily interested in the acoustics of the room for live playing. I would go for the hard flooring in a hearbeat except that the only piece of furniture in the room will be a chaise lounge for my wife, so I am a little concerned about too many hard surfaces bouncing sound around. The room is also very visible to guests, so my wife is not crazy about a lot of odd looking "acoustic treatment" on the walls.
You are probably right. A hardwood floor in a hard room could be a problem. Get some sound absorbing panels on the walls and roof and then hardwood floors would be fine.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above