View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
As always, it's important to play the guitar if you can, and don't let the Brazilian rosewood bowl you over. Brazilian is good stuff, but it won't make a weak guitar sound good or increase its value.

The Giannini name was revived recently, but I don't think it has much to do with the original.
Dead on! Brazilian rosewood won’t work miracles and it was used a lot in that time.

Maybe they were not very popular outside Brazil for some time, but Giannini was always a strong brand in here, they still are today, but the quality really dropped a lot because of the Chinese imports being so cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltr View Post
I would not get hung up on the brasilian rosewoods used on these guitars as a determining factor of value. Perhaps Guto can shed more light on the subject but my understanding is that Di Giorgio guitars were the defining instruments of the Bossa Nova movement.
Check this site for info on Bossanova guitars:
http://guitar.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...va%2Findex.htm
Yes, Di Giorgios are more valued then Gianninis from the bossa nova "era".
Most famous bossa nova players played Di Giorgios, but in fact Giannini was producing more instruments/month then Di Giorgio at the time. So they must be more available then Di Giorgios.
And as Romeo Di Giorgio started working on Giannini in his early days (if I remember correctly), they have a lot in common too, at least in that time.
From more recent past, Gianninis are even more valued then Di Giorgios, as some great luthiers worked there and then started to build alone.
A Giannini C7 made by Sergio Abreu, for instance, is a very valued guitar today.

As a curiosity, my godmother has a late 20’s Giannini, which apparently belonged to a famous guitar player called Canhoto, in his time.
I played it some time ago, and although it’s not a “concert” guitar, for its volume and projection, it was a great playing guitar, with a really great vintage tone.
It was Spruce and Brazilian Rosewood, all solid. It was probably between their top models at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Trust Guto on this one....Giannini guitars are made in his native Brasil.
Lol, thanks, but I’m no bossa nova expert. I actually don’t like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmulletrocker View Post
It's a 1965 522.

I'm actually looking for a guitar to fit a specific purpose. I lead worship from my steel string, but I travel constantly for work. Often times I spend a week or two away from home, and I want something to take with me on the plane so that I can learn new music and stay fresh while I'm on the road. I thought a nylon would work well because it's a bit quieter and would be good for playing in my hotel room. I had also played with the idea of throwing a little pickup in it and rotating it into my worship set; especially for intimate alter times.
Well, Giannini has a part in their site for the older models and catalogues, but this model is missing.
I found pictures of the guitar in a Brazilain forum, but no price: http://img340.imageshack.us/slidesho...=dsc02491i.jpg
Is that the same?

Playability may be an issue for an old guitar. You should definitely play it before buying, in my opinion.