View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
I guess we're all missing the point that solid wood just has to be "better" because plywood is cheap.

Then again, if we're going on how these guitars actually sound as opposed to arguing theoretical predictions, I'd certainly agree with the characterization offered by HudsDad.
I haven't seen an argument that solid wood is better because it costs more. I had said that I believed a laminate was originally chosen to reduce costs but that is not the same as saying that laminates can't sound better because they are cheaper. If a laminate top is tonally superior (I'm not saying it isn't just that I don't understand why it would be), it would not be the first time that cost-cutting led to the discovery of an improvement from less expensive materials.

Someone suggested that a laminate top produced more overtones. I doubt that and asked why it would but no one has ventured an explanation.

The problem I see with comparisons between the ES-335 and the CS-336 / CS-356 is that one can't be sure to what extent the tonal differences are due to the solid top or the smaller body size.