View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
If only my talent deserved it!
I thought that too until a few days ago. My original thought was that I should get quite good at fingertyle before moving on to a harp. Then I got to thinking about my bass playing journey. I started on 4 strings, had a couple of 5 strings, then got into the 6 strings. 6 is where I finally felt at home. I actually found it easier to play the 6 string! The additional low string gave me access to thunder, no more down-tuning. But the additional upper string meant I didn't have to position shift as much. If I wanted to do something interesting like add some upper melody lines while playing bass lines I could. 2 hand tapping now had more room. *By 2 hand I don't mean crazy over the top stuff... simple things like tapping out a bass line and adding some upper melody. It sounded like 2 different instruments playing basic lines.

Translate that to harp guitars. I get frustrated trying to write a melody line where I can have some open strings to ring out. Right now I have very few choices on a 6 string, so I have to change my tuning. A harp guitar gives me way more open string options for my bass notes. Plus I think it would sound so huge when just playing the guitar side. I wonder if I could still strum on it though. The harp strings are pretty close to the low E on the guitar side so I'd have to tame things down a bit.

The only change I would make to the awesome fan fret one is either have vertical carbon weave or a woody top. The sideways weave, with the single curved bridge and fanned fret makes for some weird optical lines. Still quite cool in it's own right though, some probably prefer it.