View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
That's right. Sorry to quote myself, but I posted this awhile back:

A bit of general advice. Beware of those who say "Oh, Mexican Fenders are nice, if you don't like the pickups, you can always upgrade", etc. I think I would make sure I would be happy with the Mexican as it stands.

I recently bought an American made strat, because I found out that if I bought a Mexican and then added a case, better pickups, a trem block, and the labor to change it all out (I'm not friends with soldering irons) I was actually gonna have more $ in the Mexican than in a MIA American Standard. No-brainer.

I think modding a Strat is more for the love of it type of thing. That’s the cool thing about Strats, is that you’re a loaded pickguard away from having a completely different sounding guitar.

I know I’ll never get what I’ve invested in this guitar, but it’s been a fun ride.

Same guitar. Top pic was after restoring with American Strat pickups. Second is with a set of hand wound pickups and also a “bucker” toggle switch mod (it connects the bridge and middle pickups in series so they essentially become a humbucker). And the third one is the American pickups but with a very hot hand wound humbucker on the bridge. Great for high gain.