View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
I’ve had the pleasure of owning a number of fine guitars over the years, and in my opinion, once you get to the Top level, for me, it’s about color differences in tonal palate and unique personality characteristics that set them apart… I “expect" them to be amazing, they better be at these prices, lol… I search for new voices that stimulate my senses, and vibrations that really get my blood boiling, and my Buendia really tops the charts at such… Her voice is alluring and captivating, tough to put down, keeping me fascinated with playing guitar… All the basics I require are there of course, perfect construction & playability, volume & power, balance & separation, thick blooming notes, sustain & overtones etc… The framework of an exceptional guitar, thats all clearly there… along with some really nice tonal characteristics that are unique of their own... I really don’t have another guitar just like it...
When I read this, I recognized a kindred spirit.

At some point, if you go deeply enough into the acoustic guitar, and wind up in the world of these "Top Level" instruments with their extraordinary sonic properties, 'grading' a fine instrument according to any sort of scale (loudest, most resonant, longest sustain, most overtones, etc.), and even general comparisons to other instruments ('best I've ever played,' 'most bang for the buck,' etc.) become a fairly pointless exercise. In fact, finding a guitar that CAN'T really be compared to any other becomes the point, because it's the exploration of new and unknown sonic territory that's most exciting and compelling.

Like Diamondave, what motivates my guitar journey is the restless search for the next exceptional and unique flavor that constantly fascinates and tugs at my ear, revealing new layers of its personality every time I pick it up.

I am fortunate enough to own guitars by Leo Buendia, John Slobod, Michael Bashkin and Tyler Robbins, and a mandolin by Michael Heiden that was once owned by Ry Cooder. All of them are extraordinary in unique ways. They satisfy me, but the world of fine guitars is vast, and I'm always open to the possibility of discovering the next great and distinctive guitar flavor to complement them.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 03-02-2018 at 04:58 AM.