View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I would go for a nice silver face. They are easily serviceable and the caps can be replaced. I have had a new 65 Custom 15 and had problems with it. The fuse holder and power supply have given problems. I had to hard wire in a new fuse circuit which I made serviceable from the exterior. It was an issue that techs had seen before. Once that was fixed it was fine.
\
Having it fixed on warranty would not have been a good solution as they would have replaced the pc board. It was a materials/design problem in my opinion. Since, I have purchased a 76 Vibrasonic Reverb with a JBL 15 and it works great and is serviceable in my opinion. If you don't gig it may not be a problem for you but in the reissues the fuses are replaceable only if you remove the chassis from the cabinet. A big issue if you are gigging.

Someone who is an EE mentioned that he prefers PC boards and I agree with his concept. However I think that the problem is the metals used in Asian built PC boards. The fuse holder metal was weak and became loose creating heat and melting the PC board. My humble opinion only -- Darwin