View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Shades -

I would suggest calling Baggs and talking with Brian (the tech there). That's what I did when I was picking between the 2 systems; I opted for the SL version, thanks to Brian's explanation of the differences between the two.

The SL has a "fixed" crossover for the division of signal output between the mic and the UST... set at 250 hz, although the UST is a "soft shelf" and does cover some frequencies above 250, just not much. There is a small set screw to adjust "how much" mic is mixed in to the output... it's pretty much a "set it and forget it" type of adjustment, if you are playing through the same PA system. Brian did say that it's critical to get the proper adjustment to achieve optimum performance.

As I understand it, the "full" Anthem version has an adjustable crossover point, allowing for the UST to cover EVERYTHING and taking the mic out of the mix entirely; this would be for those times (like with a full band at loud volumes) when the UST alone would be desired. The full Anthem also has a battery life indicator, as well as adjustments for mic/UST mix and volume.

I like the SL version in my guitars, although I feel that some aspect of the pick-up has changed the un-plugged volume and tone of the guitars, albeit slightly. They aren't "fool-proof", but they're darn close to "plug in and play", which is my preference for live performances.

Hope this helps a bit!

play on......................................>

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman