View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
Hmmm, it sounds like you have to use the same mindset you use for playing a 7 or 8-string guitar, with regards to using the extra strings on a harp guitar.
I'd say it's a bit different. I've tried 7 string, and that changes your concept of chord shapes and fretting hand. With the harp, (speaking from my vast experience of several days :-), it seems the focus is more on the picking hand, since you don't fret the harp strings. The guitar part stays the same, but you're bouncing around a lot, or making *really* big stretches with your picking hand.

Yes, the guitar seems to be very nice quality, solid wood. The 6 string tone is a bit dry, but all in all, sounds much the same as I recall Stephen Bennett's Dyer sounding. The bass strings are stunning. You could rent the hard shell case out as a spare room :-) There are some upgrades you can do to the guitars, at least for the 1st batch, they suggested upgrading the tuners and bridge pins, and they'll install a pickup for you. I resisted upgrades on all fronts, the whole idea to me is an affordable way to see if this is even something I'd want to play, no sense getting caught up in bells and whistles before I even figure it out. Plenty of time to go all out with a really nice harp guitar by Kathy Wingert, Duane Noble, or Fred Carlson if I get hooked :-) This one is perfectly playable, sounds very good, and won't break the bank.