Thread: Archtops 101
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I'm intrigued by Archtops and always have been. Aesthetically I think they're cool looking, and I love the sound. I associate them with jazz, because that's my limited experience with them, but I'm sure they're much more diverse that that. Can anyone give me the scoop on them..."Archtops 101" so to speak.

Also, are there any good quality Archtops being made that won't break the bank (maybe under $1500)? I'd like to stay with an American made guitar, but price is a consideration since this is an experiment of sorts; so, Made in U.S.A. is not a must have. Thanks in advance for your help...

-Dale
New: The Godin's are ok and made in North America. Don't expect a lot of acoustic volume out of them though - especially if you string it with electric strings.

Also check out the Guild Newark Street A-150B archtop. Around $1K.

Used: There are a lot of really inexpensive old Harmony & Kay arch-tops around. Go to EBay & see for yourself. They're vintage & the prices are so low - $99 & up. Spend a hundred bucks for a pick-up and you're in for under $300.

I have a hand-made arch-top from Vietnam. It's wider & deeper than any I've see being sold today. F-holes are larger too. So it has a lot of acoustic volume. I bought a Kent Armstrong floating mini-humbucker for it. I record more with that guitar than any other I own.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.