View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post

A mix of 30% Piano Lacquer and 70% Stringed Instrument Lacquer seems to be a good ratio. Caleb Smith gave that formula to Mohawk, and you can now order it direct from Mohawk, using Caleb's name. Straight Piano Lacquer is very easy to work with, and builds quickly because of the high solids. But it is susceptible to cold checking and chipping because it hardens so much.
I also thin around 10% to 15%, using Mohawk reducer. I thin more when the temperature is cold, and less when it is hot.
I use them in about the opposite ratio. The knock on the instrument lacquer has long been that it is too soft and will feel soft when cured and not sand and buff as well as the harder lacquers. But the Mohowk/Behlens furniture lacquer is too hard and checks if built to the thickness needed for a glossy guitar finish. When I talked with their technical advisor about 5-6 years ago (when MacFaddens went under) he thought the piano lacquer alone would work without checking on an acoustic guitar. The piano lacquer has some plasticizers and is not as hard as their furniture lacquer; it is made for a thicker build. I tried it alone but did get some checking reported by a client (but no chipping). So far by mixing about 3 parts piano to 1 part instrument lacquer I have had no problems with checking. Been doing that for 2-3 years now.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 04-25-2017 at 06:03 PM.