View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpocket View Post
Bought and played around with an S6 and I figured I'd write a short review in case someone was looking to buy one.

Retail $399, but can be had new for around $350 with a coupon or on ebay. Solid cedar top, laminate wild cherry b/s.

Sound: Can be kind of dull due to cedar characteristics. Honestly, it's kind of a unique sound, and it can sound poor when compared directly to other guitars side by side. I feel like this is out of expectation. Spruce dominates in quantity, however there is something about the S6's sound. Seems like a love or hate thing to me. The sound really grew on me and I've grown to love it. It is not a very complex sound. The bass is a little boxy, and the highs are a little bright, but **** for $399 it sounds good to me. Excels very well in fingerstyle play. Strumming is okay. Sustain is decent for this price point. She can get loud too. 7.5/10

Feel: 1.8" nut width fellas. Be aware on that. The neck is chunky, but feels really good to me. I have a little smaller than average hands if that gives you any reference. Unless you have baby hands, it shouldn't matter, and you should be able to adapt easily and quickly. The fretboard is rosewoood, and feels nice and has a very quick response. The guitar feels heavy, and it is overbuilt, but that isn't really unexpected in any sub $500 guitar. I could be wrong on this, but I believe Seagull dreadnoughts are a tad tinier than most dreadnoughts. Either way, it is fairly comfortable. No complaints. Also, this is a short scale guitar, making it extremely comfortable to play. My favorite feature on this guitar. 8.5/10

Fit/finish: Good for the price point. Inside was clean, action a little high, but easily changeable, fairly plain, yet attractive look. Built on the heavy side. 7/10

Overall, I feel like the S6 is an amazing beginner guitar, or a definite worthy additional guitar. If you're looking for a pro level guitar, look elsewhere. But for $399, I feel like it's hard to beat the S6. I'm a fan of the headstock and the finish which makes it even better for me. I've also played some Seagull Maritimes and I have to say I was unimpressed with the sound quality in accordance with the price bump. The S6 is what Seagull is known for, however, and for good reason. It is a very reasonable buy, and if you're in the market for a guitar around the $300-$400 mark you should look to Seagull.

8/10

There's the review for anyone who might care... feel free to ask questions or correct me on anything if need be.
Good review. I've had a Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo and an Art and Luthurie cedar topped dread over the years. I think the cedar topped models from the various Godin brands are at their best when played with finger picks. There's a built in sweetness to the guitar tone and when you combine that with the tone and added volume of metal finger picks you really have something.