View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So one big criteria would seem to be, how good the mic sounds without any processing. One could assume that the better the mic itself is to start with, the better the results would be with the processing.
It took me a while to really wrap my head around this concept. I had a plethora of cheap mics that I convinced myself would work well for me with enough tweaking. I embraced that idea for some years before I realized it was never really going to produce the kind of quality I really wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
But from a practical standpoint Myself and many people do not have $20k to $30k, to throw at mic purchases . So as I noted in the OP "if" this system proves to come close enough, then it could be pretty useful and a pretty good bargain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I think the Slate, and maybe this new thing, are fine to tide you over in the short term. Same as amp sims. You can get an idea of what the real thing might sound like, and when your playing and singing and songwriting have reached a point where the gear is holding you back, you'll have a ballpark idea of which mics might be suitable.
I agree that there's some level of usefulness to these things in that they can provide you with some idea of the direction in which you might want to head, however, there are cheaper ways to do the same thing. Antares has a mic modeler program that they sell for around $130. It will give you more choices the the Slate or Townsend system for about a tenth of the price. And if the goal is simply to get an idea of what might work well for you, it's probably good enough.

Once a person finds the direction that works for them, I'd encourage them to move onto a mic that does a better job. I can't speak for every less expensive brand, but I do have some experience with some. The Advanced Audio mics all sell for less than $1k and the ones we put up against the Slate were all significantly better. I've used some ADK mics in the past and I'd recommend those also if someone needs to keep the price on the low side. Lastly, if someone is looking for a U47 flavor on a budget, the Lauten Audio Atlantis has impressed the hell out of me. Now none of these approach the level of my Flea, but it's unreasonable to think a $1k mic is going to pull that off.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube