View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Hmm.. there are many sounds and styles. There's a towering Marshall stack driven by a solid body. There's a crappy flat top under a pocket knife slide. And everything in between.

IMHO, if you're playing with a drummer and bass player, you don't play acoustic or with a mic. Unless you're a star and big draw, your sound, technique, and hassle factor will ensure they won't want to play with you for long.

If you're playing solo there's the question of what style you're drawn to. Personally I can do without that scratchy old sound. It was a financial and technological constraint the artists lived with. Might be authentic, but that's not my demographic or taste. Given a choice, I want to sound like Wes Montgomery playing blues.. that's when I play a fixed humbucker archtop through a Rivera era Fender Concert with a EV speaker in it. Sometimes I just like the acoustic sound of my oval hole with a Sunrise through a Grace Felix / Schertler speaker. Tone is a very personal business when it comes to something as broad as 'blues'.