View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Funny thing about that, Toby - my foot keeps terrible time - AND it has been noted by several people who've watched me play! So, I am working at getting a little rhythm in my body. I could make a lot of jokes here (at my expense) that will get me kicked off the AGF for weeks!

Gotta pay my dues so I can sing the blues....

Rick

(hmmm... remember that scene with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor from 'Stir Crazy' (we're bad)? I've got the same problem as Gene)
I've been playing a djembe to improve my body rhythm. I've had fantastic results. What better way to improve rhythm than by playing purely rhythm? I also spend time tapping out rhythms with my hands on my legs to songs that are playing on the stereo.

It's important to note that prior to this I couldn't tap my foot or my hands to anything, especially switching between different note divisions. I was rhythm-less pretty much.

In my opinion rhythm is totally separate from playing. Once it starts to click you don't even think about it. In fact, thinking about it makes your rhythm worse. It appears to be a subconscious act, probably a lower-brain function. Since we use rhythm to walk, run, and even for language, that would make sense.