View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post

Also, has anyone with a 30+/- year-old lawsuit Tak had a neck reset done? If so, did you go through with it and were you able to justify the cost? Mine needed one but the cost would have exceeded the value of the guitar so I had the luthier put a block underneath the fretboard extension instead to help shore up the neck joint. It's holding but it ain't pretty. Still the guitar has been getting the majority of my playing time, though sometimes I wonder if the tone would be better if it had had a solid top.
Absolutely the tone would be better with a solid top! My solid top EF340S from 1984 matured and opened up incredibly over the years. Really, the greatest improvement in tone occurred in the last five or so years. I have taken pretty good care of it--stored in case, properly humidified, and it has not needed a neck reset. I did have new frets installed a few years back. As far as I'm concerned, it sings as well as many a Martin I've played. Nonetheless, due its low monetary value, it has become my travel and campfire guitar--can't justify pullling the Santa Cruz out around a smoky campfire!
1950's Hoyer Meisterklasse
2003 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist
2013 Haxton Special (Nick Lucas model)
2019 Fairbanks Nick Lucas
a bunch of other stuff I really ought to sell...