View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 12:15 PM

It does depend on what the song is and where I heard it - if its poppy or country I'll just do it by ear. If it's jazz I'll look it up in Realbook or similar. If it's a fingerpicking tune I'll look at lots of youtube - there's usually many different versions - find a version I like and learn from that - often I'll down load it and put it into Reaper where I can slow it down and work on sections.

Many years ago I did a workshop with an accomplished guitarist and someone asked him the very same question. He said to listen to it many, many times, then play your own version. Easier said than done of course but I like the idea and usually don't try to get it down note for note, just get in the ball park then get my own take on it.
Case in point - Toby Walker recently posted a version of "Saturday Night Rub". I thought that looked like fun but after looking at many versions on youtube and listening to Broonzy's version I decided to go with Woody Mann's version. Toby's was awesome of course but Woody's version suited me better. My version doesn't sound anything like his but it was my jumping off point.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

Last edited by tdq; 09-14-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling