Thread: Flyaway Pinkie
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 02:04 PM

Default Flyaway Pinkie

Lately I've been lucky enough to start getting some better gigs ... which is causing me to reevaluate several aspects of performing and overall technique. Toward that end, I've been videotaping myself a lot.

One thing I've noticed that has ... well I guess "horrified " is a strong word ... OK let's say one thing that's bothered me is that I'm right-handed and notice that when my left pinkie is supposed to get out the way for certain faster runs, it seems to "flyaway" to almost full extension as in pointing up at the ceiling. Any wonder I've always felt I could be more accurate? Obviously the closer I can keep my pinkie to the fretboard, the less it has to move, and the more accurate it will be.

When I watch other players, I see their pinkies are curled pretty much in the same position as their ring fingers, or they even drop underneath the edge of the fretboard depending on what they're doing.

Has anybody else experienced this, or taught proper hand technique, who might have some tips on how best to get this flaw under control?

Any and all respones are appreciated.