View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 01:23 AM

I was given an acoustic guitar when I was 8 but took a while to work out what it was, let alone what it did, and where singing joined to it!

Then I went to guitar lessons at about 13 and concentrated on that until I joined a band with classic 2 guitars, bass, drums and we somehow worked up some tunes, wobbly but tunes. Then somebody, the self appointed manager (ha ha) said the only sensible thing to come out of his mouth ever: "You need a singer!" Singer? Somehow, maybe to save looking for someone else, it landed with me. No idea. And we got a gig, poor audience.

So the washup of the post gig meeting was firstly, humiliation, then a reorganistion including losing the other guitarist, getting a proper lead guitarist and I was appointed singer/backup guitarist. Again, no idea of what that was either.

So we trundled around like that for a few years, actually playing places! Oh boy. And we had a few 'lead guitarists' until we got a self confessed superstar guitarist who didn't want to play 2 guitar stuff, just 3 piece. So I was relegated to 'occasional' guitar parts but mainly vocals! I don't remember voting.

So as things go, our super guitarist had a hissy fit and the band fell apart. After a while, I decided I wanted to learn more 'blues lead guitar' with a local teacher and hardly sang a word for many years. I then started doing acoustic blues guitar and the natural progression was to sing to spread out the gig.....

And here we still are all these years on. But it is a natural thing - singing and acoustic guitar! Wouldn't change a thing!

BluesKing777.