View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pater Familias View Post
How many songs, generally speaking, does one need to have worked up tohave enough material to do 3 or 4 hours at a gig?

How many sets and how long each?

Thanks
Again, it depends. Some songs are longer than others and if you've got a duet thing, then you can always draw them out with long exploratory jams

But, if you figure 4 minutes per song, you should then figure around 60 songs for a 4 hour gig? Of course, factor in things like talking to the audience, how long of a break you're going to take. I generally take about 5 minutes every hour just to break it up and let my fingers rest or get a refill on my drink.

I think the last 4 hours show I played had around 40 songs, but about 35% of the show was played with my friend playing lead, so those songs tend to be more like 7-8 minutes. It differs for every gig though.

You should also figure that if you're going to be doing it regularly, you probably want at least 100 songs in your repertoire or people are going to get bored seeing the same thing over and over at every show.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken