View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I’ve noticed that a number of folks are presenting their factory solutions as better mouse traps. And, I totally agree. For instance, the Fishman F1, Maton, Yamaha ART, etc. are all excellent systems. In fact, if Martin made a Adirondack topped guitar with the Fishman system I’d be mighty tempted. However, the argument that Rich Addison has been making has finally sunk in for me. These systems, and the guitars that contain them, are really perfect for full time performing/working musicians, because they come with two major caveats: the model choices are somewhat limited, so you’ll need to really love the offering, and when the systems break, you’ll have a much greater challenge replacing or repairing them.

Why is that? Do you simply mean it's easier to replace a completely outboard system (just plug the thing into something else), or is the internal installation on the guitar particularly challenging? I mean if/when it dies, I can see how changing the circuit board that processes everything and the volume etc. controls it's attached to could be a pain, but is there some world-class undersaddle neurosurgery involved?

Speaking as a very happy user of the Aura VT Enhance on one of my Martins.