View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Ted can probably answer this better than most of us since he is a dealer for several brands and gets to try out various models. I can say that my new Rainsong sounds very close to a wooden guitar. I was surprised at how close it comes. It has a very pleasing tone.
Thanks, Todd, and yes, I have played them all as well as hundreds of different wood guitars over the years, and the answer is of course it does. Just like Spruce, Mahogany, Cedar and other tone woods, CF has inherent tonal characteristics, as does unidirectional CF, and Rainsongs Hybrid material. And while these characteristics can be tweaked, and colored by a builder, the base material will always retain it's inherent tonal qualities, regardless if it's Spruce, Cedar, or CF.

In the carbon guitar world no one is more serious about tone than Joe Luttwak of Blackbird guitars, in his quest for "tonal perfection", he has been tweaking carbon fiber for over a decade, recently moving to new material, Ekoa in his search, which of course also has an inherent tone.

I'll be discussing this further with the builders and post in our blog in the coming weeks