View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeseed View Post
Thanks for the quick responses.

I guess my next question is, are they desirable or not?

My main reason for posting the original question is that when I play my new 814ce with other people plugged in and I strum hard, I can hear the low strings quite loud the sound is almost pleasant, but if I go overboard it starts becoming unpleasant. Last night I was strumming the guitar hard unplugged at home and at one point in time it started sounding unpleasant and I am wondering if that is what some people call the overtones of rosewood.

By the way I love the guitar and that one is staying with me for life, I love the way it sounds, the above is more of a quest for learning to play the instrument the right way, it is in no way a criticism of the guitar.

Thanks.
If you listen to the sound clip in the Wiki article, you may gain some insight: specifically that overtones as a group are neither good nor bad. The first few in the series sound nice in relation to each other (to my ear), whereas the last few don't sound so nice together.

The total absence of overtones would sound very boring to most of us. Listen to the sine wave (a tone that consists of a single, fundamental frequency, 440 Hz in this instance, with no overtones) at the following site:

http://www.hark.com/clips/ytxtclfjjg...onds-12db-loop

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'